What is a Postpartum Doula?
A postpartum doula is professionally trained to provide support, encouragement, and practical help to the mother and her family as they adapt to their new roles and circumstances in the “Fourth Trimester”, or the first 3 months after the birth.
A postpartum doula “mothers the mother”, providing a sympathetic ear and companionship, non-judgmental support and evidence-based information, along with very practical support. The doula nurtures the mother so she can better nurture her baby and helps the family adjust to their “new normal”. She offers infant soothing and coping skills, enabling parents to build their confidence and connect with their new babies.
As your Postpartum Doula I will:
• Meet with you & your partner/children before your due date to discuss your needs
• Be on-call two weeks before the due date and be available to begin service 48 hours after birth (option to begin postpartum care in the hospital) • Provide in-home care from birth up to three months, depending on your requirements.
• Create a package to suit your individual needs (e.g. 4 hours a day, 4 days a week).
Postpartum doulas provide great support and assistance as the new parents begin their journey into parenthood.
Each woman and every pregnancy, birth and postpartum period is very different. Doulas are very respectful of this and so will work together with you to individually to tailor your care to your own specific requirements. Whether its settling back into the home with twins/multiples or recovering after a Caesarean Birth, your Doula is there to help make the transition smoother for you and all the family and give you the time & space to enjoy your newborn baby bubble!
Here are some of the services I provide as your Postpartum Doula:
- Maternal care – emotional support, knowledge of postpartum health and recovery from birth, evidence-based information on infant feeding, breastfeeding support
- Newborn care – bathing, changing, feeding and comforting
- Household tasks – light housekeeping e.g laundry/dishes, meal preparation, grocery shopping
- Undisturbed rest time so you can nap while someone listens for the baby
- Facilitates bonding time between you & baby, or you with older children
- Timely referrals to vetted professionals when required
Most new parents feel like there’s never enough hands or hours in the day to complete even the simplest tasks around the home with a new baby- your Postpartum Doula is that extra pair of hands – I am there to reassure you and give you peace of mind during those early days/weeks. You don’t have to try to do it all, you don’t need to feel alone or like its struggle. I am there to hand you a cup of tea with a nourishing snack while you put your feet up or feed the baby, prepare a simple meal for your family, or batch cooked and frozen for convenience later. Im a watchful eye over the baby while you take a much needed nap or shower, have quality time with older siblings, or simply time for you & your partner alone to chat over a meal. Im there to listen when you need to talk, and also to give you space when you need it, always respecting your choices as a parent and offering non-judgmental, non-biased information.
POSTPARTUM PACKAGES –
OH BABY PACKAGE
One week of care – 4 hours per day, for 5 days (1st day option may also include care from hospital to home if required) €600
Three weeks of care – 3 hours per day, for 5 days €1350
Six weeks of care – 4 hours per day, 3 days per week €2160
I also offer personalised packages built around your unique circumstances & individual needs. Please enquire about individual day/evening rate – there is something to suit everyone!
** All packages require 25% booking fee on booking & signing contracts with balance payable prior to commencing services **