What is a Doula?
A Doula is a trained professional who provides continuous physical, mental, emotional and informational support before/during, and shortly after childbirth, helping women and their partners achieve the healthiest most satisfying experience possible. Doulas help support new families through the life changing experience of having a baby!
The word DOULA comes from a greek origins, and literally translates as ‘woman’s servant.’. Women have been serving others in childbirth for many centuries and evidence has proven that support from a Doula can greatly improve the chances of having a positive experience.
Why hire a Doula?
Studies have shown that women who use a birth Doula:
* tend to have shorter labours with fewer interventions/complications
* are less likely to use pain medication
* fewer need instrumental assistance
* less likely to result in Caesarean Birth
* less likely to need labour augmentation with syntocinon (synthetic oxytocin)
* more likely to rate their childbirth experience positively
* more likely to feel safe and secure and well supported during labour resulting in better birth outcomes
* greater success with breastfeeding
* reduces risk of post-partum depression
What do birth Doulas offer?
Position ideas for comfort as labour progresses as well as hands-on comfort measures like comforting touch, counter pressure, breathing techniques, water therapy and other skills that enhance and support a woman’s birthing experience.
Doulas help families feel supported by being a calming presence, easing the emotional experience of birth and also helping to create a space where the hormones of labour can work optimally. Whether a birth is unmedicated or medicated and complex, every family can benefit from nurturing and connection at this incredible time in their lives.
The birth partners experience also matters, and Doulas are there to be as involved as needed or to hang back and give Mum & partner space as required. A Doula can offer support to the birth partner, encouraging them too as they encourage the labouring woman offering ideas and guidance, and giving the birth partner a break from the sometimes intensity of the moment, as well as an opportunity to eat/drink or take a bathroom break without leaving the mum alone.
If you would like to read further information with the research on the benefits of hiring a Doula click on the following link:
There are 3 Birth Doula Packages to choose from.
The PREMIUM PACKAGE includes:
- two visits antenatally of around 2 hours. During these visits we will discuss your wishes for birth in detail, create your birth preferences, and explore all of your options for comfort measures during labour & birth.
- continuous support throughout pregnancy via phone, email and text. You can contact me if you have any thoughts, questions or concerns along the way and i will be in touch with you regularly.
- On call service 24 HOURS a day from 37 weeks till birth.
- Continuous support during labour and birth. In early labour I will offer you phone support until you should decide you need me there as things progress (allow up to 2 hours for me to arrive at your home or chosen place of birth). I will remain 1- 2 hours after the baby is born and help get breastfeeding established should you require this.
- One postpartum visit to discuss the birth, answer any queries you may have on the early postpartum period and celebrate the birth of your baby!
FEE : €1200 (Booking fee of €200 is non-refundable and payable on signing of contracts.)
The HYPNO BIRTH PACKAGE includes:
- all of the PREMIUM PACKAGE services
- Hypnobirthing Course for you & your partner. Learn all the skills and techniques to help you prepare for a calm, fear-free birth. (1 full day Group class held on Sundays- See Hypnobirthing Tab for dates)
FEE: €1400 (Booking fee of €300 is non refundable and is payable on signing of contracts).
The BABYMOON PACKAGE includes:
- all of the PREMIUM PACKAGE services
- 10 HOURS POSTPARTUM DOULA CARE
FEE:€1500 (Booking fee of €500 is non refundable and payable on signing contracts).
**Option to add on Hypnobirthing private course @€375**
Package total €1875
Payment can be made in instalments.
INITIAL CONSULTATION (Free of charge)
This meeting takes place in a neutral location and is commitment free. It gives us a chance to have a face to face chat, discuss the terms and answer any questions you may have. Your birth partner may also wish to be present and I would encourage sharing the decision making process on selecting a Doula. To find the perfect Doula, you must first evaluate your own needs and expectations and know what matters to you about this birth. I believe there is a Doula match for everyone and to optimize the experience for you it must work mutually. If you are unsure about how to go about hiring or interviewing a potential Doula you may find this guide from DONA International helpful – interview-guide-for-parents-final
“A BABY WILL MAKE LOVE STRONGER, DAYS SHORTER, NIGHTS LONGER, BANK BALANCE SMALLER, HOME HAPPIER, CLOTHES DIRTY, THE PAST FORGOTTEN, AND THE FUTURE WORTH LIVING FOR”…
‘THE MOMENT A CHILD IS BORN THE MOTHER IS ALSO BORN. SHE NEVER EXISTED BEFORE. THE WOMAN EXISTED, BUT THE MOTHER…NEVER. A MOTHER IS SOMETHING COMPLETELY NEW.’ – RAJNEESH
Please fill in the contact form below with any enquiries you may have. Thank-you!